13262538

My ex husband hasnt let me see my children since January.

My ex husband hasn't let me see my children since January. I have struggled with Alcholism. I have been sober the past few months. I have been receiving help and joined AA. Where do I stand?
How old are the children?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

4 and 12. Social services were alerted in 2012 when my daughter (12)reported that she and her brother had witnessed my ex husband assault me. I had been 3 years sober prior to this. I moved out of the family home and we shared custody. In October 2012 I broke my shoulder and my ex husband became the main carer. I had my children for 2- 3 nights a week until November 2013 when I suffered a breakdown and picked up a drink. My children did not witness this and they were in the care of my ex husband and my Mum. I was building up a relationship with them again when in February of this year my ex stopped me seeing them. Foolishly, instead of getting help at once I picked up a drink due to looking for a way out of my distress. This lasted for about a week when I decided to get help and pull my life back together. My marriage to him was a violent and emotionally abusive one.

Julie

How long have you been dry now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since March.

Julie

What contact have you asked for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I asked if I could see the children and he said no. I understand I have to prove myself and am more than willing to go for supervised contact. He has sent me several text messages blackmailing me into not going to court. He stopped my daughter from texting me. She was clearly devastated by his actions. I was extremely close to my children.

The law says that children are entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary provided it can be arranged safely for them
It is going to take a great deal of effort on your part to show that you can stay sober enough to maintain contact.
Your starting point is to ask your ex to discuss matters with you using Family Mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk)
If that does not work then you can apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order and ask for contact at a local Contact Centre.
You can read more here
http://theparentconnection.org.uk/
https://www.cafcass.gov.uk/media/168195/cb7-eng.pdf
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details