13262538

I am on income support. After selling my flat I will have

I am on income support. After selling my flat I will have £350,000 to purchase somewhere for cash. What is the disregard for cost etc. when moving, I am going to rent for 6 months. I am doing this due to ill health and I want to secure something for my daughters future.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Can you expand a bit on what you mean when you say ".What is the disregard for cost etc.." please?

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The amount I can keep without it affecting my income support, stamp duty, removals,solicitors costs.I Read somewhere 10% is ignored from selling

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm really sorry, but I now consider that there are probably other experts on the site who are better experience to answer you.

I will opt out and one of them will assist in due course. Please try to be patience, someone will answer.

Tom
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first
Just to check - you realise that you will not receive Income Support whilst you are renting?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

There is no disregard as such
You will receive the net sale proceeds of the house AFTER all the cost are allowed for
So long as you have capital over £16,000 you will not get Income Support.
Between £6,000 and £16,000 £1 for each £250 or part thereafter will be deducted from your entitlement.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
By disregard I mean the usual stamp duty,solicitors costs,rent cost,these should obviously be ignored but how about if the new property needs updating,kitchen etc to make it more habitable I may purchase a house that has had elderly persons living there for the last 70 years.
There is no "disregard" - but obviously you will be able to spend as much money on the house as you wish - and when your savings fall below the £16,000 mark you can start to claim again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Many thanks,lastly would I be depriving myself of capital to pay for funeral costs,I am on chemotherapy at the moment
No funeral costs are acceptable - but you would have to pay for them in advance to diminish your capital
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years