Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor
28732269

I would like to know if I have been with someone for 16 years

I would like to know if I have been with someone for 16 years and my name is XXXXX XXXXX the mortgage , I'm i entitled to anything if I leave him ?
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I assume that you are unmarried and that there are no children of the relationship.

IN these circumstance you would not automatically be entitled to any share of the equity. You would have to prove tha tyou are entitled to a portion of the equity by claiming under the Trust of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act.

Whether you would have a claim would depend on if:-
1. You have paid more in rent/outgoings/mortgage payments then you would otherwise have paid if you were in your own private rented accommodation.
2. If you have made capital payments (ie. large payments) from the mortgage or payments to your partner for other things
3. You have carried out substantial improvements to the property which has substantially increased the value of the property.

If you think any of the above apply to you then you may consider having a consultation with a property litigation solicitor. However, there is no legal aid for this, so you would have to pay legal fees and if the matter if fully defended by your partner.

Kind regards,

Tom
2.