13262538

My wife and i got married in Egypt i was a british national

My wife and i got married in Egypt i was a british national she was egyptian, she came with me and eventually became naturalised and now is a british national.

We did not register our marriage at the registrar when we arrived in the uk, as we were told we dont need to.

Legally, if i divorce her in egypt or through the egyptian consulate will that divorce be recognised here? Or is the marriage itself not recognised since we didnt register it?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you
Your marriage is indeed recognised in the UK and there will need to be a divorce to end it.
Since neither of you are now Egyptian citizens then unless you are resident in Egypt no divorce there will be recognised in the UK
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we are both dual nationals and hold both nationalities, so if we end our marriage in an egyptian court that divorce will be recognised here in the UK (even if it is done through the consulate) ?

It will not be recognised if it is done via the Consulate
One of you will need to be resident in Egypt at the time of the Divorce if you wish it to be recognised here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

resident as in living there - or just there for the divorce? the consulate sends the papers to a registrar in Egypt for the divorce to be completed - if one of us as there while that was going on is that sufficient?

You cannot do this via the Consulate.
If you wish to divorce in Egypt and have it recognised in the Uk then one of you must be there to deal with it in person