UKfamsol
UKfamsol, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
40487810

My husband and I have been married for almost 40 years. My

Customer Question

My husband and I have been married for almost 40 years. My husband was previously married and had two children who are now in their 40s but have lived with us since 1976. My step daughter is 47 in July, married with her own two children. Of her own choice she has had nothing to do with her birth Mother nor vice versa for over 25 years and after much trauma over the years now says the only thing she would wish for her birthday is ***** finally be formally adopted by me. Is this possible at her age? and if so how would I go about it.
Expert:  UKfamsol replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question

You must be immensely flattered and touched by her obvious deep affection and regard for you - and it's clear that the relationship between the two of you is as close as and the same as mother and daughter - but sorry - no you cannot adopt her as she is an adult.

However, there's nothing to stop you from continuing to treat her exactly as you would a biological daughter - for example, you could name both of your step-children as beneficiaries in your will.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks and best wishes...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did this already and she is going to have two thirds of everything I leave in my will. Are you absolutely certain that with everyone's consent this adoption cannot happen at all?

Expert:  UKfamsol replied 3 years ago.
Yes sorry - adoption is about ending the parental responsibilty of the natural parents for a child, and granting parental repsonsibilty to the adoptive parents - but parental responsibility ends anyway when a child is no longer a child. If you have named her in your will, then you have got round the problem of her not being entitled under the rules of intestacy (where no will is left), so I think you have done everything you could possibly have done.

I do hope this helps - thanks and best wishes...