familylawexpert
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
75281287

Hi If a girl asks for paternity settlement from the father

Customer Question

Hi If a girl asks for paternity settlement from the father and they are unmarried ...please can you tell me what she is entitled to ? I have heard she may ask for help with the baby's cot etc and a monthly amount in support as a percent of income and even school fees and a place to live..also does the child have an automatic right to inheritance ?

but what if the father cant afford all of these things ?
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 3 years ago.

My name is Mac. I can help you with your question.

The mother is entitled to make a claim through what used to be called the Child Support Agency. See link below.
https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance

Unless the father has income of more than £3,000 per week, or substantial savings, then that generally is the extent of what the mother can claim from him.

On a related note, it is much better for both the mother and the father if they can agree to pay the amount that the CSA would make the father pay, rather than actually using the CSA. You can use the above link to calculate it.

Regards,
Mac.