familylawexpert
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
75281287

My Husband left the family home in early January this year,

My Husband left the family home in early January this year, he has gone back home to his family overseas. I have a child and have been married for some 14 years. In this time, there has been no support whatsoever.
Over the past two years his interest in Islam has grown and latterly since going overseas, he has been harrassing me to convert to Islam. I have no desire to and the marriage has broken down. The extent of his text messages are frightening in their content as they are extreme. He has talked of divorce in his texts if I do not convert to Islam. I have been diplomatic to his views for all the right reasons, but genuinely feel harrassed and frightened for both myself and my child. I want to commence divorce proceedings, what are my best grounds to resolve this quickly. He has the 'right to remain' endorsed in his passport, but does not have a british passport and has been out of the country since January 7th this year. I would appreciate your advice.
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 3 years ago.

My name is Mac. I can help you with your question.

Do you hold a British passport?

How long have you been living in the UK (since you returned, if you have lived out of the country)?

Regards,
Mac.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am a British Citizen, born in the UK White. I have always lived in the UK. My Husband is Turkish and does not hold a British Passport and is endorsed 'right to remain' our child is English

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Mac, are you still there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mac

Are you still online. I have responded, do I need to remain online

Sorry - I was away from my computer. And no, you don't have to remain online.

You are free to get a divorce now if you wish, in the UK. In the absence of him committing adultery (which I don't understand to be the case), you can base it on his unreasonable behaviour. You only need 4/5 examples, and they don't have to be that strong. For example:

1. He's left you to live abroad.
2. He regularly sends you harrassing texts.
3. Your social lives are completely separate, leading you to feel alone.
4. He has led you to believe that he considers the marraige has broken down, which in turn has led you to consider that you need to make a new life without him.

I hope that is helpful.
Mac.