13262538

A Consent Order was issued by the Court last year which included

A Consent Order was issued by the Court last year which included a provision for periodical (monthly) payments to be made to my former spouse for the benefit of our only son. He is 16 and about to leave school and start an apprenticeship under a Government scheme. The monthly payments were put in place on the basis that he would leave full-time education just before his 19th or 22nd birthday if he went to university, but he is to start work instead jus5t before his 17th birthday.

Firstly, 1) can the monthly payments be stopped or varied given that he is now to be employed? or 2) can the monies be paid to him rather than his mother?

Hi Thank you for your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you but I need some further information first. How many hours a week will the child be in college? What is the exact wording about when payments would end? Clare

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cameron starts work on 30th June 2014 and will attend college for 3 hours per week and work 32 hours per week until 1st September 2014, when he will then attend college 7 hours a week and attend work for 28 hours per week.

The exact wording of the Consent Order is:

"As from the 1st day of January 2013 the Petitioner do pay or cause to be paid periodical payments to the Respondent for the benefit of the child of the family, ***** ***** Sanderson (born 04.09.1997), until he shall attain the age of 19 years or cease full-time tertiary education (but terminated on Cameron's 22nd birthday (04.09.2019) in any event) whichever shall be the later or further order at the rate of £620 per month payable monthly in advance."

I look forward to hearing from you,

Howard

The wording of the order means that you will have to continue payment to your ex until your son is 19.
If you wish to change this in any way the you will have to apply to the court to vary the Order.
I am sorry to give such bad news - please ask if you need further details