familylawexpert
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
75281287

We were together for 10 years . One actually married. 6 living

We were together for 10 years . One actually married. 6 living together but he did not contribute to mortgage or amnesties . I had a stroke whilst we were living together and I'm 80% fit and working although about to be made redundant.

He retired as we got married. He also wanted me to sign a prenuptial because of his past affairs and retiring from the Force he had a large combustion and pension. He's had another affair and u found out. What am I actually entitled to.

We gave lived in my house but he's still got his own - he would never sell or rent and now I understand why.

Sarah
*****@******.***
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 3 years ago.

My name is Mac. I can help you with your question. First I need a bit more information:

• how old are you both?
• are there any children? (If so, how old?)
• what is the value of each house (and any mortgage)?
• what is the total value of the other assets you and he hold (a total value rather than individual values is fine)?
• what is his income from his pension (after tax)?
• what is your income (after tax)?
• what is your likely pension income?

Sorry to ask for so much information, but I want to give you a full answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm 49 he's 58
Children on both sides over 18 but not with each other
My house approximately£180000 with £25k mortgage still running
His house £180000 non mortgage
My assists are £6k
His are £1000k plus and with many shares and bonds
My income is £1600 take home pay per month
He's retired
He gets £1600 per month pension
My pension will be approx - not a lot , I'm in the government pension

The approximate value of his shares and bonds could be critical in relation to any capital claim that you might have because as the other numbers stack up, you would probably not receive any capital. If his shares/bonds totalled more than £20-25k, then I would expect you to receive something to help you reduce your mortgage.

In terms of income, you might possibly receive some limited term maintenance if you actually are made redundant, but I would expect that that would have a fixed term to it - anything more than five years would probably be worth agreeing to in negotiations.

I hope that is helpful.
Mac.