13262538

My ex partner and myself still live in our jointly owned house

My ex partner and myself still live in our jointly owned house 80/20. My ex partners about to be 18 year old daughter lives in the house as well. When she becomes 18 on Tuesday what right does she have to stay in the house, should she contribute financially, etc. Thanks in advance
Does your partner wish to have her daughter live there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Clare, yes mother, who has the 80% share wishes her daughter to stay. Daughter is the reason we are splitting up, she has made my life he'll over the last two years. Ex is going to buy me out of house when she has the funds.

Do you not wish to force the sale?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Clare

Despite the way I feel I have been treated I still have enough self-respect not to force the sale of the home and I am prepared to allow the ex a little time to arrange funding to buy me out, up to three months perhaps.

The 'problem' is the ex's daughter. Her attitude is appalling to both me and her mother.

I wish to know what the options are around her presence in the house, I may not necessarily follow through.

Your ex is entitled to have her daughter visiting her at the property whenever she is there herself.
When she is not there then you are entitled to ask the visitor to leave
This is of course an unrealistic way of living and an example of how inadequate the law can be in such matters
However it is a threat that you are entitled to make
I hope that this is of assistance =- please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Clare

Does my ex's daughter have any right to stay / live in the house when she becomes 18. Can my ex (who owns 80% of the house) insist on her daughter living here? Should I expect any rent for my 20%?

TIA

She is entitled to live there as her mother's guest so long as her mother is in the house - the issue of rent is between you and your ex