13262538

If my aged mother, whom I am looking after, has to go into

If my aged mother, whom I am looking after, has to go into a Care Home, do I lose my house? She owns it. I am 70.
is this your mother's only assets?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has her OAP and a civil service widow's pension plus a rapidly dwindling inheritance from her sister of about £30,000, maybe some shares worth £800. Her house (my father's house bequeathed to her 50 years ago) is her only property. I live in the house, have no house of my own, have my OAP and about the same amount as her of cash in the bank, and I look after her. She has dementia, I am going downhill fast with a bad back.

My wife, who also lives with us, has no property nor assets beyond OAP helps too, but she has vascular dementia and cancer.

Kevin

Since you are over 60 the house is disregarded when it comes to the means test to assess your mother's financial position so you are safe and the house will not be lost.
I hope that this is a comfort - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Clare,

Supplementary question (please add to bill or tell me how to): If my mother is in a care home and my wife - living with me in my mother's house- also has to go into care, am I (with my fifth-sibling-share of my mother's house on her death) liable for my wife's costs either currently, and/or retrospectively if my mother dies before my wife.

No you will not be liable to pay from any inheritance you receive