13262538

My x wife and I took out a morguage for 25 years. After just

My x wife and I took out a morguage for 25 years. After just 4 years she went off with another man and left me with the morguage and 2 kids .I PAID THE MORGUAGE FOR THE NEXT 21 YEARS ON MY OWN.. Is she entitled to claim any part of the house?
When was the Decree Absolute and was a Financial Order made at the time of the divorce.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The house was worth 21,000 at the time of divorce.I finished off the mortgage now its worth about 250,000 thousand.No a financial order was not made.My x wife said verbally that her share shoud go to our 2 children

How much was the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The mortgage was for 21,000

Just to check - the property is held in your joint names?
Do you know where your ex is now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes she remarried and lives in a village 6 miles away

have you asked her to sign the property over to you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did once and she just said my children will get her half.My children will get my part as well.Just want to know if she ever changes her mind how much could she claim.No she will not sign it over.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I mentioned it about a year ago she said there is no need as her share would go to the children

In general terms would you be willing to accept her share being transferred to the Children's names now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No it will mean me selling the house.In the end the children will get all the house I just want to know if I decided to sell the house what would her share be

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To do that I would have to sell the house.My children don't want me to sell the house I don't want to sell the house.My x wife is not pushing me for her share I don't think she would ever do that.But one day she might change her mind. All I would like to know is what percentage she is entitled to if she does change her mind .

In fact it would be possible to have the house transferred either into your sole name backed by a Declaration of Trust confirming that i fit is ever sold then half of the equity goes to the children; or for the property to be transferred into your joint names backed by a Declaration that states that the property cannot be sold unless you request it.
You may wish to consider doing this to protect your position in the event that your ex does change her mind
As things stand your ex is entitled to 50% of the equity - to decrease that you would need either her agreement or an Order from the Court.
It is possible that a court could reduce her share - say to 30% or so - but not less and even that is not guaranteed
In addition there is also a possibility that you currently own the property on the basis that whichever of you lives longest automatically owns the whole of the property - this is called holding it as Beneficial Joint Tenants.
It is because of this that an option that settles the fact that the children will benefit from her share could be worth considering
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years