13262538

Hi, my husband and I have been cohabiting/married for 4 years

Hi, my husband and I have been cohabiting/married for 4 years now and unfortunately during that time his mother and father passed away and he inherited about £300,000. We decided to buy a property with the money (both of us are named on the deeds). I also own a property and use the rental money to pay the bills of our family home. If we were to divorce would the new property be included in the pot of money to be divided between us or do I have no claim on this as it is an inheritance. We have no children to consider.
How long have you lived together?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, we lived together for 3 years and have been married for 1 year. The house was brought 2 years ago.

How much are the two properties worth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

one is worth approx £280,000 and the other £120,000.

Are there any other assets involved and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We both have service pensions, which wont come in to play as we had both left the services prior to us being together, his is £12,000 and mine £7,000 a year. We both work part-time earning about £8,000 a year. Neither of us have any other assets apart from our cars.

The fact that the money was invested in a property in joint names does mean that you have a claim on it - whilst the fact that your property was always held in your sole name means that his claim on it is limited.
However the fact that the matrimonial home was purchased using his inheritance - and you have other assets - does substantially reduce the claim that you have on the property possibly to as little as 20% of the equity
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare, I discovered last night that my husband has assets of about £80,000 in the bank. Does this change anything. I unfortunately don't have any.

It may slightly increase your interest in the equity - but only by a little