13262538

My husband is in receipt of a fire brigade pension of about

My husband is in receipt of a fire brigade pension of about £8000pa in addition to a number of state benefits adding up to about £22kpa (net).

I work and earn just £16k per annum gross. I have saved into a pension fund for 30 years and it is now valued at about £90k. Now we are divorcing after 7 years of marriage he says he is entitled to a share of my pension fund.

This seems unfair to me as my pension fund is unlikely to give me an pension income like his even if I carry on paying into it for another 11 years until I retire.
How long have you lived together; how long have you been paying into your pension and what other assets are there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Clare

We have been together since 2006, married in 2007.

There is a marital home with no mortgage, worth around £215000.

This was wholly owned by me before we married but I stupidly signed it into joint names.

We have savings, mine are about £36000. He says he has about the same but I believe he has a lot more than that hidden.

I started saving into my pension in 1986 and am 56 years old this year.

He is 59 this year and has been on an injury pension for about 20 years.

Jane

I am afraid that your ex does have a claim on the pension - but only on 50% of seven years worth - so in your case that means an eighth at most
Also the cost of a pension sharing order makes it unlikely that one will be ordered for an amount that small
Equally the length of your relationship does not guarantee him 50% of the equity in the house despite it being in joint names
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Clare that has been helpful

Jane

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well