Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
31090051

My Wife has been official carer and Attorney for her 89yrs

My Wife has been official carer and Attorney for her 89yrs old Mother for the last 4 years and who lives on her own and owns her home. She has become physically infirm and is constantly losing her balance! She will not move into a care home!
We may have to look after her in her home and this would mean selling our own home and moving in with her until such time as she dies! What would be the legal position if and when she dies regarding her house where my Wife and me are concerned given that there are 6 other siblings?
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

The legal position would be no different whether you are living in her home or not living in her home. The house would pass according to her will or in the absence of a will in accordance with the rules of intestate succession, usually equally between the sons and daughters.

So if you would be seeking some preference as regards ***** ***** in consideration of the fact that you are giving up your own house to look after her, this would have to be clearly expressed in a will.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is that in Scots Law ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is that in Scots Law?

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I am a Scots lawyer in Scotland.