Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

After a 2 year battle through the courts I finally got my Court

Customer Question

After a 2 year battle through the courts I finally got my Court Order last July. I have a life time spousal award of £1,500, until I re-marry. I have bipolar disorder and I am limited to part-time, less stressful work. Which was proved in court by an independent psychiatrist instructed by my husband. My ex has never been happy about this. He earns £160k lives in our old 6 bedroom house with his girfriend who also earns 6 figures (although this wasn't brought up in FH). I retained 1 house I owned pre-marriage and a house I inherited, which paid rent. Equity in both at FH was £185k. His equity some £450k. Since the order he has asked me to produce financial documents 3 times. I have refused. He has now found out that I have sold one of the property's to reduce mortgage payments on the house I live in. Plus I am doing some work on the property which was identified in the Judgment. At the time of FH I was quite ill and only working 21hrs, although at FDR I was working 30 hrs. I am now back to 30hrs but this job is seasonal, 10mths a year. So I am earning about £50 a month more (NMW). He says that because I have increased my monthly income and reduced my mortgage payments he can reduce his payments. I could only do what I did because of his payments. Plus I thought my houses were capital set aside, as was our FMH. Because I no longer get rental payments, I am actually worse off in terms of income, as judged at the FH. My question is, because I have been shrewd with my assets, can he now realistically take to court? I thought if I doubled my salary, cohabited, won the lottery, inherited again, would be the only points he could really argue on; all of which I would be happy to accept. It feels like I should just stand still and make no decisions for my future (like becoming mortgage free before he finishes work in 15 yrs). After all, whatever he does now with his assets is nothing to do with me? Many thanks.
How much is the reduction in the mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

£80k and by £140/mth.

Juliet

Is your spouse maintenance £1500 a year?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no per month

Juliet

How much have you lost in the rent now that the house has been sold