13262538

My solicitor who was dealing with my divorce and family matters

My solicitor who was dealing with my divorce and family matters moved around a lot and has now joined another firm and says she doesn't have my file and her previous company say they don't gave it either. I am really upset because I need to file for residence order and my ex still has a charge on the property and hasn't paid maintenance for 7 years and I want to get his name of my house. What can i do
When was the file last dealt with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
August 2012
When did your solicitor leave that firm?
What information is needed from the file?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She left sometime last year. As mentioned in my previous message I need to sort out my property as he has a charge on my property and never paid maintenance and need to get his name taken off and all data is in that file
Has she taken your file from firm to firm in the past?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes and I have always had a letter asking if I wanted them to take it and this time I never knew I found out by chance
When she moved before was the file still open - or had matters been completed and re-opened in the past as well?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It wasn't closed as far as I know I was still ringing her and she was never responding. She done a letter for me in feb 14 for my sons visa as I needed it to prove he was residing with me which she dine free of charge. I have been dealing with her on and off for last six plus years
Who did you pay the last bill to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To her
Sorry - at which firm?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Re orient legal when I first done my case she was at cattermole solicitors and then she moved to had field and then reorient legal. My file always followed her and she knew that I would want her to keep my file with her. It will cost me more money now to try and reconstruct my file and I need to find it before it is destroyed. It's not been archived either
When you contacted her in February this year what did she say about your file?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her secretary said they don't have it and that it was left at reorient legal. I then contacted them at head office as the firm is no longer at that address. They have tried to trace it and can't find it and have said they were never given any files. Where has it gone ?
Do you have a letter with the REOrient letterhead on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As far as I can remember it was always on the phone via her secretary or seeing her at the premises in person
Have you checked with the firm before that one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When the solicitor moved from her last practice to reorient legal she asked me if I wanted her to take my file with her and I said yes. But her move from reorient legal to the new practice she never informed me I just found out by chance.
HI
I understand that - but have you actually checked that it is NOT still with the previous firm?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have checked with both and have email to confirm that reorient don't have my file and neither do my solicitors not even archived
I was actually wondering about Hadfields - I know you authorised the release of the file from them - but have you checked that it happened?
In fact it would be useful to have confirmation from them that they DID transfer the file in any event
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I called them on Friday after your message and they will call me back. Failing that they don't have it can you please advise what I should do as my divorce and family matters cost me a lot of money and I can't afford to pay now to duplicate my file. Thank you Clare
There way forward depends on what you hear from Hadfields.
If they have no evidence that the file left them then it is their responsibility.
If they have evidence of its transfer to ReOreint legal then it is theirs - and since they appear to have no trace of anything then that is where it ends
On the plus side in fact t is unlikely that there is anything on the file that you need which cannot be obtained elsewhere
The Land Registry will have a copy of the Charge and all those details and the court order can be obtained form the court.
The extra costs involved in obtaining these should be claimed from the company who last had the file!
Once you have the confirmation then you write a formal letter to the relevant firm detailing the evidence you have that the file was with them and notifying them that you hold them responsible for the extra costs involved.
They may offer to deal with the matter for you - in which case the decision is yours as to whether you accept that or not
Please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years