13262538

My daughter is 18 in July and then going to go in to University.

Customer Question

My daughter is 18 in July and then going to go in to University. I wish to pay my child support direct to her while she attends University and stop paying to my ex-wife. I would start this the week she begins Uni.
Is this legal as my present wife says so, although I was prepared to pay my ex until my daughter finished Uni or would I need agreement from her?
Are you paying under the terms of a Court Order?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was agreed as part of the divorce settlement which I am assuming was agreed with the courts.

Not sure if that is one or the same.

It was 14yrs ago and I have lost the agreement.

Nick

Was there a document dealing with the house etc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All was resolved through the divorce settlement with the proceeds of house split something like 60/40 in her favour.

She then went on to buy a new house

I have written to my then solicitor asking him to explain the terms of the settlement.

I am just here on wanting to know where the law stands about paying maintenance direct to the child once at Uni whilst I await him coming back from holiday.

If the court Order states that you have to pay maintenance to your ex then that is what you have to do - unless she agrees that you can do so - or you apply to the court to vary the order to allow you to pay your child directly
It may be however that if you do simply start paying your child directly when she starts University then your ex will not want the expense f an enforcement application
Please ask if you need further details