13262538

My friend is divorcing her husband. She is due to receive a

My friend is divorcing her husband. She is due to receive a lump sum of around £90,000 and a company pension in 5 years time. Her husband is working and receives also, a company pension of £120 per month. She is concerned that he will have a claim on her lump sum and pension. Is this possible? There are no dependant children and equity in the house is about £50,000.
Gill
How long have they lived together and what other assets and debts are there?
How much does her husband earn?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for replying. The only asset is the house and contents. No significant debt. He is earning around £20,000 per year.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They have been married for many years - over 20 I think

How much is the house worth and is the husband also paying into another private pension?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The house is worth £120.000 but they have a mortgage and also an IVA for around £30,000. He isn't paying into any other pension. Something else that might be relevant is that her mum is living in the house - she's an invalid and will continue to be looked after by my friend after her husbnd leaves the house.

What offer has she made in respect of his share of the house?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shes offered half the equity - £20,000 - he says he wants more.

How much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

About £80.000

Did her mother make any financial contribution to the house purchase at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not that I know of - she wasn't there when they bought the house.

HI
I am afraid that her husband does have a claim on her pension - just as she does against his
This is usually dealt with by way of a pension sharing order which means that the current value of the two pensions are compared allowance made for years of contributions made before the marriage and then an Order is made to transfer a percentage of the larger pension fund to the person with the smaller fund
The starting point is to obtain the values of each of the pensions to determine what the calculation should be.
This may be something that it would be better for them to discuss with the assistance of Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk)
Please ask if you need further details