Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

Hi, I currently have joint custody of my son (11yrs) with

Customer Question

Hi, I currently have joint custody of my son (11yrs) with his father, we agreed some years ago that my son would do 1 week at his fathers and 1 week at mine, which works really well. But over the years, we have had plenty of disagreements over extra access for certain events. For example if I ever ask his father for me to have my son back on the week he stays at his, 90% of the time if flatly refuses and says no without giving any reason. If it is the other way around and his father ask for extra access for events then I will 90% of the time agree!

Also when my sons says he doesn't want to do something with his father, his father manipulates him into doing it, I think you call this controlling!,

My son is always asking to come and live with myself and my husband and to see his father on access days instead. When I approach his father with this it point blanks says no.

I don't feel he's taking my sons feelings into account.

He his quite and unreasonable person and if its not his idea then its not happening.

Can you please advise on how I can move on this.

thanks
Lynne
Has your son told his father that he wishes to change his living arrangements?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Thanks for coming back to me, yes he has told him on several occasions, but still says no and that he his to young to dictate what he wants.

thanks

Lynne

What time periods would your son wish to spend with his father?
How does he see it working?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi he said he would just like to go on thursday nights and Saturday morning

Lynne

Has he explained his reasoning?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Its mostly because his dad doesn't really do anything with him much in the evenings apart from cricket on the thurs night and sat mornings. We are quite active with as have lots of hobbies that we do with him
Would he cope with alternative weekends with his dad?