UKfamsol
UKfamsol, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
40487810

Does a father still have rights after 3 years of no contact

Does a father still have rights after 3 years of no contact with children. We were married got divorced 4-5 years ago.
Expert:  UKfamsol replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

Mothers automatically have parental responsibility for their children. Fathers can acquire parental responsilbilty in a number of ways, and one way is by being married to the mother of their children. They do not lose their parental responsibility on divorce, nor do they lose it by not having any contact with their children.

The effect of having parental responsibility is largely symbolic - it doesn't give the father with PR the right to interfere in the children's daily life, eg what time are they to go to bed, who their friends are, what are they having for tea - but you DO have to consult the father regarding all MAJOR decisions in a child's life eg if you were planning to emigrate with the kids, or change their names, or change their school, then you must either get the father's agreement, or permission from the court.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks and best wishes...