13262538

Hi , my partner was made redundant 6 months ago and despite

Customer Question

Hi , my partner was made redundant 6 months ago and despite much effort has still not secured a new job . He has a 12 year old daughter with his ex wife who we have living with us Friday to Monday every other week. Up until now has continued to make the agreed maintenance payments to his ex wife but his redundancy money has now ran out and he has no other income. He has applied for income support but this may take a few weeks . He has therefore telephoned his ex wife to explain the situation and she has told him that until he gives her money he can not see his daughter . Sadly she has also told her daughter that she can't see her dad until he pays her money , which has left his daughter extremely distressed and upset . This is the first time in six years since they split that he has not been able to give his ex wife maitanance payments which have been quite substantial and more than was required of him. I am at present fully supporting my partner and his daughter when she comes to stay along with my own children . Can you please advise as to what course of action we can take in order to have contact given his current financial position . Many thanks
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
The law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary
Contact and maintenance are not connected and shoudl the matter come before the court then his ex will have much to explain.
The starting point is for your partner to try and discuss matters with your ex using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) - but if that fails then he will need to apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order
He can read more here
http://www.familylaw.co.uk/system/uploads/attachments/0000/2078/CB1_1108.pdf
Please ask if you need further details