Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

Ive been asked to provide a DNA test by a solicitor acting

I've been asked to provide a DNA test by a solicitor acting for the high court about a child in which enquiries are being made I also know that social services are involved what could be the reason behind this after 6 years if the child is mine
Expert:  Kasare replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.

Can you please explain what you mean - "what could be the reason behind this...if the child is mine"? Do you mean, what could happen if the child is yours?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes that's what I mean

Expert:  Kasare replied 3 years ago.
Hi Andrew

If the child is yours, then you will be responsible for maintenance. If the mother has named you as the father either on the birth certificate or after and you refuse a DNA test, then there is a presumption that you are the father in any event and you will be responsible to maintain the child unless you prove otherwise.

However, if the child is under the care of social services, it may be for a number of reasons that they are interested in the result - they could perhaps consider you as a possible alternative party to care for the child - if you were suitable and willing. There are a multitude of reasons.

In the circumstances, I would recommend you ask the questions of why social services are involved and what they are doing with the child.

I hope this answers your question.