13262538

My husband wants a divorce and sees him self as separated from

My husband wants a divorce and sees him self as separated from me, we do still live in the same house. He now wants to separate things financially, I am not working at the moment but have been applying for jobs, He has a good job, My suggestion wast to pay for all the household bills like mortgage, electricity etc. After that we split it in half with each getting their half into their own accounts from our half we pay for cars/ insurance etc and other personal bills. His idea was to give me £800 pounds a month of which I would have to buy food , pay car, insurance at other commitments, His monthly income is £3500 pounds a month so after bills there should be between ( 1000-1200 per person left). He has threatened to have his salary deposited into his private account and he wants to close the shared accounts and all credit cards ( including my private one, as it is link through him as I can not get my own credit card) Can he really do this?

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Would he be paying all the household bills as well as giving you £800?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes all household bills excluding my food, car insurance, petrol, car maintenance. ( my car is in my husbands name). Other medical/dentist, opticians (Contact lenses) and mobile phone bills

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Clare, thank you for any help you can give me. Been a difficult day already my apologies for being rude. Saskia

Hi Saskia
Please don't apologise - you are under an incredible amount of stress - so be kinder to yourself.
Unfortunately I do not have good news for you.
The offer that has been made is a good one - indeed even a generous one so far as a court is concerned
There is no legal requirement for you each to have the same amount and if all the household bills are paid then the amount he is giving you is a third of the income available - and there is an old (very old) rule of thumb - no longer much used -that the income of the lower earning spouse shoudl be at least a third of the joint income
I am so very sorry.
You do also need to consider the longer term - and should offer to discuss this with him using family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk)
Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for you help and advice will have to consider my position carefully .

Saskia

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well