13262538

Hello, Could you please advise me on establishing my paternity.

Customer Question

Could you please advise me on establishing my paternity. Situation is, my ex appeared after 9 months from our break up, informing me I have a daughter. After a shock, i took this responsibility and accepted it with all my responsibilities, including providing financial support. But then my ex decided not to put me on the birth certificate of the daughter and started ignoring me for months. Could you please advice me on what legal procedures have to be done to prove my paternity and get all rights as a father? Could you also please provide me some info on good family lawyers for this purpose. Thank you! Adam
How old is the child and will you also want contact?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Clare! My daughter was born 24th December, 2013. Yes, I want contact with my daughter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And contact of lawyers who could help me to start legal procedures on my behalf in London..

I have not made DNA test yet since there was no question of my fatherhood, since my ex came to me informing I have a daughter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have started visiting the child, giving the money etc. And then she just started ignoring me and my calls, therefore, I haven't seen my daughter for the second months now. Furthermore, she then made a list of expenses for the child, ie. private nurseries and expensive toys, requesting me to compensate my part.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We are not together with my ex, and she was refusing to put me on the birth certificate the last time we spoke after which she just disappeared.

Do you know where she and the child are?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Claire,

Yes, she lives with her mother in London.

Just to check - are you still paying maintenance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't payed her anything since she started ignoring me.

The law says that a child is entitled to regular contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary
In the event that you hear from the Child Maintenance Service then you can opt to have a DNA test via them - and take that option immediately as that option is only open for a short period of time
Be aware that your financial liability is for maintenance at 12% of
If not then you should arrange an appointment with a Family mediator (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) to discuss arrangements for contact.
If she refuses then you can apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order - and within that court application you can ask for a DNA test
You can read more here
http://www.familylaw.co.uk/system/uploads/attachments/0000/2078/CB1_1108.pdf
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Clare!

You are welcome - good luck