13262538

My daughter and her partner are splitting up. He bought the

My daughter and her partner are splitting up. He bought the house for them and her son (who is now 19) to live in together about seven/eight years ago. He pays the utility bills. My daughter pays the tv and telephone costs, buys and cooks all the food and keeps house while he works away from home. He says it's his house and she must leave. Does she have any rights?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Were they married?
Did he ever tell your daughter that the house also belonged to her?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The house is worth about £400,000 and there was never a mortgage. It was a cash purchase. They were not married but had been engaged. He always referred to the property as his house although she was the full time occupier/housekeeper/homemaker as he works on the motorways and is away for up to 2 weeks at a time coming home for a few days and then going off to his caravan/work place again. They have 2 Labrador dogs and therefore she is also the chief dog walker. He had been seeing someone else. The "other woman" has "internet stalked" my daughter and pretended to be an old school friend on "Facebook". She eventually admitted her identity and subjected my daughter to verbal abuse. This made my daughter too ill to cope with her nursing employment for several months. She returned to work on reduced hours only one week ago and now he has told her to leave. Because of her reduced hours she would not be able to support herself/pay a mortgage or rent a reasonable place to live.

How much does a one bedroom/studio property in a cheaper area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are no one bedroom studio properties in this area, and she has her son to consider as he will become homeless too.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We are in a rural area. Her work as a nurse is based in Cheltenham but she travels to do clinics and visits in many areas of Gloucestershire. I think £150,000 would be a minimum plus legal costs. She wouldn't be able to live in a studio property because of the two dogs that he says are hers although it was him that wanted the dogs originally.

A one bedroom apartment/flat in Cheltenham would be much more expensive.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry but the news is not good
Because they never married and she did not make a financial contribution to the bricks and mortar - and it is clear that he never promised that the house was always hers
On that basis her only entitlement is to "reasonable written notice to leave" maybe 56 days at most.
The Engagement might have been helpful - and still could be regarding contents - but not to the point of financing a further property given those prices.
I am sorry - I know that this is the worst of news - please ask if you need further details