13262538

Hi there My wife has filed for divorce and I have two concerns. One,

Customer Question

Hi there
My wife has filed for divorce and I have two concerns.
One, that the grounds are tenuous at best and highly manipulative and untrue at worst. Although I agree that the marriage has broken down, I do not want to sit back and take the lies that has been stated on the petition.
Secondly, because of this, I do not want to be eligible for the costs of proceedings. I have given my wife £17000 in lumps sums since january, this rises to £21000 if you include the bills I have been paying for the house she is living in, and £25000 if you include the credit card and loan payments which we have used during our marriage.
I feel that I already have been well and truely taken advantage of, it was I who was in an abusive relationship and now it feels that I may have to pay for the priviledge of being taken to the cleaners by an unkind and unrealistic person.
please help!
Chris
Do any of the allegations involve violence at all?
is your ex using a Solicitor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, no allegations of violence.

She has mentioned that I was under investigation for use 'of excessive force' during a restraint of a violent pupil at school. Citing my behaviour as erracitc.

However, this soon turned out to be a dreadful mistake on the part of the school. The head of specialist intervention and teaching for all of Sussex, who wrote the East sussex policy on restraint and is head of one of the only Outstanding special schools in the country, mr Frank Stanford, came and spoke at the hearing on my behalf having had the opportunity to view all of the evidence, including CCTV footage.

he remarked that it was very low level. No sanction was issued and I received a settlement agreement of £24000 (which my wife has subsequently spent)

There are no specific allegations of violence. I am one of the most placid people you could meet.I beleive that this is a prime example of highly maipulative behaviour on the part of my wife.

Chris

Is she using a Solicitor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes she is, am at work so can't remember the name, but can get if I call my sister at home?

No need!
Write to her solicitor and say that you deny all the allegations in the Petition BUT will not defend it if your ex withdraws the claim for costs.
This will mean you still get the divorce (at her cost), you have not admitted the allegations and she pays the court and solicitors fees
It will not effect the eventual financial outcome.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there

Thank you for answering my question.

Unfortunately, as I suspected, my wife's behaviour is becoming more threatening, bizarre and vindictive.

I looked after my children this evening whilst she went out and she had locked me out of the bedroom where I would have put the children to bed, stating that it was full of her personal possessions and that her solicitor had told her she could do this.

Is there any grounds on which she could do this? The mortgage and bills are and have been paid by me since the house was bought. I am also concerned that she is putting her own personality disorder before the genuine needs of the children.

When she came back, she started threatening me, saying 'do not test me...I'm scared of how far I will go...careers, nothing matters....I will go the full way.'

This was a bizarre display of behaviour.

I believe that I have been in an abusive relationship and that her behaviour is now following classic patterns of the break up of an abusive relationship (even though she filed the petition)

I believe that she is about to make false allegations and/or bizarre claims in order to gain full custody of the children, although the motivation and rationale for such behaviour cannot be truly understood. She is displaying the identifiable characteristics of an abuser and of false allegation cases. For example: the allegations have started and escalated after the legal action has commenced, there is a history on her side of family dysfunction with high conflict and hidden underlying issues.The female abuser is often histrionic or borderline personality, and she displays all the characteristics of this. Also, her hatred towards me supplants the interests of the children even though she claims that all is in the interests of them.

My concern is what I can do to protect myself against any future allegations and the interests of the children against such unpredictable and unpleasant behaviour and what is the best way to do it when she is trying to get me to pay her legal costs also?

Chris

How old are the children?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

One and three

And she locked you out of their bedroom?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is normally where they sleep, but 'tonight' they suddenly had their own rooms and she locked the bedroom where we usually watch a bit of television and have books before going to sleep. It was a very sudden change of routine!

But there was no real problem for the children in this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, it made things more difficult and was a break from the normal routine. Can she lock me out of rooms in my own house?

There are two issues here
If she has private papers she does not wish you to see then it is not unreasonable to lock then away
Locking a whole room seems excessive - but equally there is no reason for you to take any action since you do not at present need access to that room.
She is trying to provoke you - ignore it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But what if her behaviour becomes increasingly vindictive, possibly affecting the children and/or the possibility of untrue allegations. My fear is there is no telling what she might do, or try to do! How can I protect myself?

You protect yourself by never reacting to her provocations
Most successful allegations arise from a provocation that is reacted to however mildly- so grit your teeth and dont