How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34288
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have an adopted child who is going to receive a large payment

Customer Question

I have an adopted child who is going to receive a large payment from CICA. I will be a deputy of the court of Protection. Would it be morally right for me to invest his money in a house for the whole family to live in. I would put his name on the deeds and make a will to ensure that his affairs are taken care of. He has special needs and behavioural problems and as we currently rent and keep needing to move, this will give him the settled life that he needs to be happy. I have recent medicals that state he won't be able to work and he will not manage in sheltered accommodation. The reports have stated that he will need to stay in my care until I am not able to care for him. Would the court accept this as a good way to invest his money for his benefit?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He is 14
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
It is in fact usual for a suitable home to be purchased if there are sufficient funds to do so.
It will have to be held on Trust for his benefit - but there shoudl be no problem in the decision you have made
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thankyou, you have allayed my worries.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
You are most welcome - i hope all goes well