Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I have told my husband I dont love him and want a separation

Customer Question

I have told my husband I don't love him and want a separation .He wants me to leave the house and children aged 16 and 19 so they can live with him. There is about £2,000 left to pay on the mortgage and the house is worth about £240,000. I have suggested joint custody of the children. Neither of us wants to leave the property but he says he doesn't have to do anything. He will not contemplate moving out. He refuses to live away for part of the week and me live away for the remainder of the week..thus leaving the children in their stable home but us not having to live in the same house together. I want to sell the house or him buy me out but he says he doesn't have to do anything. Where do I stand legally? I earn £8,000 per year and he earns £80,000 a year so without the money from the house I cannot afford to live or rent anywhere else.
What other assets are there (including pensions)
How much does a two bedroom property in a cheaper area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have 2 small pensions - 11 years with British Rail as a clerk and 8 years part time as a teaching assistant - not sure of their worth. My husband(Chartered Mechanical Engineer) has a 20 year pension with British Steel and a 10 year pension with EDF Energy power station - worth a lot but don't know how much. We have approx £6,000 in savings. I would need a 3 bedroom house to enable both children to stay with me - my daughter needs somewhere to live when she is home from University. Cheapest I've looked at for 3 bedrooms is £130,000. That's around the same area to enable my son to go to the same college as planned in September 2014.

HI
Are you willing to start Divorce proceedings?