13262538

hi I bought a house 8 years ago when my ex husband and I got

hi I bought a house 8 years ago when my ex husband and I got back together, I put down the deposit on the house of 25k from the sale of my own house. we re married 3 years ago, but are now close to separating. Would I get the 25k I put down when purchasing the joint house?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there and are there any children involved?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi clare, the house is worth approx 135 which is just over what we paid for it, there is approx 70 left on the mortgage, he has a 10k loan which he took out in oct last. I dont have any loans, no kids, earn 23k he earns more about 25- 29 depending on overtime but basic is 25k

thanks jane

What was the loan used for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare sorry for not responding sooner , I only get so many emails on my blackberry and I have used my work email.

he took the loan to pay off his credit card bill off approx. 5k, this isn't the first time he has run up debt for which he carnt explain what he has spent, the other 5k was spent on furniture.

I have received a 5k gift off which I transferred 1k into the joint account and have kept 4k in my own account off which my husband knows about.

regards Jane

What has your ex asked for in settlement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he hasn't asked for anything yet, I want to know if I would be entitled to the deposit of 25k that I initially put down, before sharing the remainder

Regards jane

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he said we would have to split everything down the middle and I wouldn't be entitled to what I put in and also that he could have half of my gift money?

regards Jane

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry by reading back , we jointly bought the house 8 years ago, but I solely owned the one from which the deposit came from, I don't know if I made that clear?

jane

My apologies for the delay
The family court has wide discretion to distribute assets in any way that they think fit
Given that this time round the relationship has only been 8 years and your brought the deposit to the house I would expect the Court to give you a larger share of the equity - probably 70/30 in your favour - which recompense you!
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details