How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34140
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi I have got the following question regarding finances: 1)

Customer Question

Hi I have got the following question regarding finances:
1) I am paying child maintenance but want to have the access to view the payments going to the account. At the moment I have no access to it. I am just going by my wife's words.
2) What can my biological son (who is with my ex-wife now and for whom I pay child maintenance) claim from my assets when he is 18? Can he claim anything at all?
3) If I remarry a woman who also has a son (my step child) but if I do not adapt the child, can they claim anything from me in future?
4) I know I can make a will to describe division of assets. Would my second wife have any say or control over this will? I just want to stay in full control and in charge of all my assets and do not want any obligation from anyone!
Please advise for the above 4 queries.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Yes I would like to wait.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
1. You have no right to see the account details. She is entitled to use it how she wishes
2. The only claim he would have would be on your death if he is not mentioned in your Will AND was in some way financially reliant on you at the time of your death
3. No - unless that child was in some way financially reliant on you at the time of your death
4. You can deal with your Will as you wish - but if you make insufficient provision for your widow she can make a claim against your estate.
Please ask if you need further details

Related Family Law Questions