familylawexpert
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
75281287

Do I have to give my unmarried partner half of everything I

Customer Question

Do I have to give my unmarried partner half of everything I own we have to daughters between us 22year old and 17 year old thanks
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 3 years ago.
My name is Mac. I can help you with your question.
The starting point for unmarried partners is different from married couples, and is not 'giving half' to your partner.
The jointly-owned assets will obviously need to be divided between you, as will any assets that were purchased in one person's name but which you agreed at the time of purchase would be held differently.
If your 17-year old lives with your partner after you separate then you might face a separate claim in that respect, but it would be very limited.
I hope that is helpful. To be more specific, I would need to know what assets you each own.
Regards,
Mac.