13262538

A father has obtained a residence order for his 2 children

A father has obtained a residence order for his 2 children (ages 5 and 4) to live with him, without access by the mother, who is a feckless drug-abuser. But now he faces some £7000 in court costs and solicitors' fees. He is a self-employed electrician whose working hours are now much reduced by the need to give time to care for the children. He is in despair over how to raise this kind of money. We (his friends in Preston, Lancs) have collected £700 towards helping him, but this is only 1/10th of what he owes. Apart from Legal Aid (now much reduced in scope) please advise what sources of financial help (e.g. charities) might be worth applying to.
When did the case start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

In terms of legal proceedings, I think the case started early this year 2014.

Before that there were lengthy efforts to get social workers to see the neglectful attitude of the mother.

The father is proudly reluctant to accept financial assistance from friends, so we are having to move as tactfully as possible.

Sorry for delay in responding to your first request for more information. I hope you can help.

Alastair

Might I ask if you have seen the bills - they seem rather high
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I've not seen the bills; but this is a friend of 30 years' standing who has always been truthful hitherto.

Alastair

The problem is that it is unlikely that a Solicitor would have allowed such a considerable bill to have run up unpaid
In addition whilst it is true that legal aid is now very limited your friend would have known that from the very beginning (that is when the matter is dealt with) and I am surprised that he did not ask for assistance at that point
The problem is that if he had sought assistance before the bill was incurred then there may have been (limited) options - but there are no sources of funding available at this point.
I am sorry to give such bad news - please ask if you need further details