Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I have had a relationship with a man for over 33 years - we

Customer Question

I have had a relationship with a man for over 33 years - we have a son aged 28 years. He was married when we met first - our relationship has been on and off over the years. However 9 years ago we became engaged to be married and after a few months he wanted me to leave the house again - this has happened a number of times in our relationship - I'm a fool I know but I am no angel either! At the end of Dec 2013 he had an accident and I came to see him on 1st Jan 2014. We had not spoken since our break up 9 years previous. He needed someone to look after him and wanted me rather than a variety of people coming in each day. We got back together and were extremely happy until a couple of weeks ago - he has now left the house and wants me out again. He has stopped my income and has had the phone barred and wants me out of the house. This time I feel I am not going to be treated like a "ball that has been tossed around" and my intention is to stick it out - he is threatening issuing proceedings but I have said so be it - I will stick it out until such time as a Judge evicts me - unlike him I will not have money to employ a barrister but I will defend myself - it's a principle thing with me and its all about the money with him. What are my rights here? thanking you. R
Expert:  UKfamsol replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

I need a bit more information to be able to answer:

1.Whose name(s) are on the title deeds of the house ?
2.Regardless of who owns the house, have you made a financial contribution to the house - such as paying the deposit when it was purchased, and/or paid the capital element of the mortgage, or paid for any improvements could be said to increase the value of the property eg such as paying for new kitchen or bathroom?
3.When you moved back in with him in January 2014, did you make a financial sacrifice to do so, and was that in return for your ex promising you that this would be your home from now on?
4.When you say "it's all about money with him" what do you mean?
5.What do you mean when you say "he stopped my income"? was he employing you as his carer?
Expert:  UKfamsol replied 3 years ago.
hello again

I see that you've looked at the questions I have for you but not replied. Just answer what you can and then I'll give you a reply as full as possible.

best wishes.....