Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
31090051

Hello my question is with regard to inheritance tax. What

my question is with regard to inheritance tax. What is threshold in UK? If a husband dies and leaves his estate to his wife and then she dies can she claim twice the inheritance tax when she dies as the estate was once also in her husbands name. I know this sounds odd but my mothers solicitor told her that was the case and she was entitled to twice the uk threashold amount before her children would pay tax, which does not seem correct to me.
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
The lawyer is correct. The threshold of £325000 is doubled up if the first estate is left by one spouse to the other and there is no IHT paid on the first estate as it is between spouses. The allowance is £650000 on the second death.
Note the children don't pay the tax, the estate does, if the estate is more than £650000. If the estate is less than this no tax is payable.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.