familylawexpert
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
75281287

Is it legal for a mother to take our 3 children on a vacation

Customer Question

Is it legal for a mother to take our 3 children on a vacation to her family abroad (while the father stays working in residence country) and declare to him a few days upon arrival that she will not return and stay in the other country were she will settle with the children?
Many thanks!
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 3 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I can help with your question.
No - if the father had not consented to the children being permanently removed from the country, then it would be unlawful for the mother to retain the children in that other country.
If that country was a signatory to the Hague Convention on child abduction then there is an international treaty that should operate to mean the children would be promptly returned to the original country (which I assume is England in this case).
I hope that is helpful. If I can give anymore detailed information, please let me have some more specific details.
Regards,
Mac.
I notice that you haven't yet rated my answer - is there any aspect of your question that I can help you with further?
Regards,
Mac