13262538

I was with someone for over thirteen years, we split up last

Customer Question

I was with someone for over thirteen years, we split up last year. We had no children together, but I gave up my airline job to bring up his son (although still worked locally) and then I cared for his mother.
When we split I was threatened by him and had to visit the police in Cyprus, he let me leave with only my clothes, saying that everything was his.
Is this the case, as I put into that relationship a lot over the years and it seems so unfair
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I am still waiting for a reply, If you cannot help me then please refund my money

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Were you married or engaged at all?
What financial contribution did you make to the property you lived in together?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We were engaged.

I always worked, my money going into the house for purchases of household items, garden items, food shopping, painting, decorating, meals out, caring for his mother & son etc.,

Kind Regards

Debbie

Did you ever pay the mortgage or finance any alterations or improvements to the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes i paid for all the decorating of the properties, the fencing to go up around the large gardens we had and erected such with my brothers help, the planting in the gardens, garden furniture, koi fish in the pond. Renewing of all items in the house several times ie bedding, kitchenware etc., There was no mortgage on the property.

How much did you spend on the garden landscaping and has it increased the value of the property at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The property was sold all monies going into my partners account.

We then moved abroad to Cyprus for five years.

I am now back in England, he is still in Cyprus.

He has another property which is in his name here in England,(rented out) which again I helped to renovate both house and garden.

Ah I see
What did you actually do in that property
How much did you spend on the garden landscaping?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Lived in it, looked after his son, run the house, and run the guesthouse that was attached to it. As well as going out to work.

I would think several thousands on the garden over the years.

The other property that he still has is rented, I came to England as he son had burnt it down, and had to try and clear the house and get it repaired.

Sorry was the guesthouse part of the property he still has?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No the guesthouse was sold.

OK
Dealing only with the property he still owns, what have you done to contribute to it's sale value?
With regard to the sold property how much did the work you financed enhance the final sale value
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The sold property, I was responsible for decorating and furnishing. Also the maintenance and planting of the gardens.

The other property again, I decorated, and came across from Cyprus to help restore it after his son burnt it down, as he didn't want to deal with the situation

It is very difficult to put a value on this.

Best guess - this is very important
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

??????? Thirteen + years of maintaining the decoration of the house, the gardens, renovating after the fire

It must be thousands

No I am afraid that the ONLY expenditure that counts is monies spent on Structural renovations or extensions - OR garden re ordering (not every day gardening however good I mean decking etc)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could you please explain why it is only the exterior of the property and not the interior?

Over 13+ years exterior only a rough guess £7,000

Are you an english solicitor?

Debbie

I am afraid that since you were not married your claims on your ex are limited to those available using Property Law rather than the more generous Family Law.
This being the case the only expenditure which will have relevance so far as the court is concerned is expenditure which has enhanced the underlying financial value of the property.
You can read more here
http://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media/2347003/land-disputes-a-guide-to-procedure.pdf
Any household items that you paid for are yours and you are entitled to either have them returned or monetary compensation
Your claim on the money from the sale of the property is limited to the amount that you contributed - either the £7,000 or the amount by which your contribution enhanced the value of the property
The starting point is to try and negotiate with your ex using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) to agree a settlement - or take court action if not
Please ask if you need further details