familylawexpert
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
75281287

My partner and I (not married) are about to part. We have been

My partner and I (not married) are about to part. We have been together 18 yrs and have 2 children 18 & 14. The house we live in is in my name. The separation is amicable. I want to move out of the house and let partner & children stay until youngest is 18 and/or education has finished. My question is if I move out now will I give up any rights to the property as apposed to staying in the home.
Expert:  UKfamsol replied 2 years ago.
Hello & thanks for your question.

I need a bit more information to be able to answer your question:

What is the house worth?
What is the total mortgage secured against the property?
What income do you each have from all sources?
What financial contribution has your partner made to the house eg paid the deposit, and/or paid for improvements eg new kitchen/bathroom/central heating and/or paid towards the capital element of the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My partner has contributed nothing towards the house. My one question was if i leave the house what difference would it make as apposed staying in the house with regards ***** ***** as owner of the property.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your first expert did not answer the question but wanted lots of needless info.With info supplied if you can find an expert to give a straight answer then please continue. Failing that I would like a full refund. The question is simple. I own the house. My partner has not contributed to any form of payment towards the house. Can I leave the house and go to live with my parents without losing any rights to the house. if the answer is yes then end of question. If no then why? I must have an answer today.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I can help you with your question.
Your rights in the home will not be affected by your moving out of the home.
However, in practical terms, what will be affected is your negotiating position, which is undermined by the fact that you will already have moved out, and therefore already put your ex-partner in the position that she wants (however amicable things are between you). In my experience it is best not to move out of the home until the agreement between you regulating your ex's entitlement has been both drawn up and signed.
That said, if you can't wait to move out, as I said above, it doesn't ultimately affect your legal position regarding beneficial entitlement to the sale proceeds.
I hope that is helpful.
Regards,
Mac
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Experience: Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.