13262538

I have been married for 22 years, but my husband and I are

I have been married for 22 years, but my husband and I are on the brink of a separation, for the bulk of the 22 years I have been the primary bread winner and specially for the last 9 years I have been the sole contributer to the family income including paying all the bills and mortgage as my husband refused to work even though I did not agree with his decision I agreed to support him. Will I lose my family home and My son goes to university soon and I will be partially supporting him, my husband wants to leave as he feels he cannot live within the "framework" of a marriage any more, I do not want the separation. I need to know if I am liable for alimony and could potentially lose my home
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there and what income do you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The house is worth approx 250k there is 195k left on the mortgage, The house was bought 8 years ago, we have a second buy to let property worth about 65k and there is approx 42k left on that mortgage, no other debts apart from one credit card bill in my name for £800, normally paid off in full every month, a savings account into which I have saved approx £6k for my sons university, I earn gross £79k per annum, one car 10 years old and one motorbike
What could your husband earn if he worked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has a PhD in Nueroscience and a qualified teacher, so could potentially earn about 30k per annum, but he will struggle to find a science job as he has not been working for about 9 years, he could potentially go back into teaching but does not want to do it!
How old are you both?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am 46 and my husband is 50
Would you be able to raise any more on the mortgage if you had to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It would be a real struggle and I might not have an option but to sell, houses around our area take a long while to sell and while it is valued at £250k we may not achieve that price
The problem is that the length of your marriage means that the starting point for division of the all the assets will be 50/50 and it is unlikely that the family court would stray far from that
The second property could be sold, but that still leaves you short and the only way of bridging the gap would be a further mortgage
With regard to the issue of maintenance since your ex could work but choses not to then you may be able to avoid paying spouse maintenance altogether - or at least have it limited to say a year.
This can only be the roughest of guidelines - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How is it that contributions are not taken into account? I do not want the divorce, my husband is walking out
I appreciate that but I am afraid it is the length of the relationship that is relevant - not what each of you earned.
It is possible that his lack of contribution might secure you an extra 10% - but it is not likely and there is a better chance that it will help you limit your liability for maintenance
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years