13262538

I have a daughter who is 18 and about to start university but

Customer Question

I have a daughter who is 18 and about to start university but remain living at home, when should I expect to stop paying child maintaiance for her.
I also have a son who is 15, he is in the last year of school and likely to take a 2 year paying apprenticisip, again when should I expect to stop paying maintainance for him.
Do you pay voluntarily or via a Court Order?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I pay voluntarily, currently pay slightly more than I should and just want to understand at what point I should be able to decrease my payments with my Daughter being aged 18 and as my son has to by law remain in some form of furthur eduction until he is 18 what my commitments is

Your responsibility to make payments to your ex for your daughter has ended - although your daughter could make a claim in her own right if she can show that her income does not always meet her reasonable needs - unlikely if she is living at home
You remain liable for your son so long as his mother is receiving Child Benefit - likely to be until he is 18 at least - certainly as long as he spends more than 12 hours a week at college.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details