Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
31090051

I recently booked a 4* all inclusive holiday through an agent

I recently booked a 4* all inclusive holiday through an agent however today, the day before we leave, I have found out that the hotel is only a 3*. I have complained to the agent but they have said that all 4* are fully booked and so we can not get what we want. They have offered compensation however I do not feel it is good enough and am thinking of cancelling the whole holiday so I want to know if I am entitled for a full refund, including the hotel and flights, but also the extras I have paid for, e.g. Airport parking and holiday insurance?
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
As long as there is no "small print" in your contract, which you will have to read, to say otherwise, the agent is in breach of contract and you would be entitled to rescind and claim damages, including the cost of the holiday and any additional costs incurred as a result of that breach of contract. Compensation does not have to accepted as they are just trying to fob you off and make you take the inferior holiday. You don't have to do that but please read the contract in detail and ensure they have no get out.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.