Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor
28732269

Im living in the family home that I own a third of. My sisters

Customer Question

I'm living in the family home that I own a third of. My sisters want me out. Do I have any rights?
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
If it is the case that you are a registered proprietor of the property and you have not agreed not to live in the property with your sisters did you have the same rights that they do. This is because you are a joint owner of the property and therefore have exactly the same rights as access and rights to live in the property as your sisters.
No one of you can have any other evicted. The only time in which they might be able to evict you is if you had agreed to vacate or if they obtained a non molestation order from court because you had been harassing them, but I presume that this is not likely to be the case. On this basis you can remain in the property.
However if you own the property together then any one of you could apply to court for an order for sale at any given time and although the proceedings would likely to be quite lengthy its probable that a court would order that the property is sold because they do not like people remaining unregistered titles for properties when they do not wish to do so.
Kind regards.
Tom