13262538

I am separated from my wife but not divorced. I left the family

I am separated from my wife but not divorced. I left the family home 4 years ago and now live by myself in a purchased flat. I acknowledge and fully accept that all property etc owned by us prior to our separatation would be divided should we get divorced.
My question is, if we were to divorce now, would my wife be entitiled to any capital/savings etc I have saved since leavingFor example, I have saved hard and purchased premioum bonds in my name - would she have any entitlement to any of this.
I do pay various bills etc to the value of c20% of my income.
Steve
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
When the Family court considers how the matrimonial assets are divided then ALL assets are considered to start with.
It is possible for the court to ignore assets that have been acquired after separation but only if there are sufficient OTHER assets for her reasonable needs to be met
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

So if she has spent all of her money on holidays etc and I have saved all of mine, my savings are still likely to start off in the 'joint pot'?

If this is the case, what would happen if I gave the money away to a friend over a period of time.

I want to be fair re the marital assets but wish to avoid sharing anything I have saved since due to my own diligence .

They will have to be taken into account - but that does not mean that the will be shared.
However giving them to someone else now would increase the possibility of the court actually sharing it