13262538

Hi I have been formally separated from my husband for over

Hi I have been formally separated from my husband for over 6 years after 20 years of marriage. My ex bought me out of the family home. Our children are 18 and 21 years old. My question is - my ex is a partner in a law firm. Whilst we were married we both signed a loan for £50,000 so he could buy into the partnership for our future. Am I entitled to claim for half of what his partnership is worth now or the £25,000 I signed up for.
How much was the equity in the matrimonial home worth and how was it divided between you.
What other assets do you each have - and how much do you each earn?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Claire

Thanks for getting back to me.

At the time of our separation in May 2008 I continued to live in the marital home whilst I continued my midwifery training. My ex husband continued to pay the mortgage and I contributed also with my bursary at that time. Our children were 11 and 14 years old at that time. When I qualified in 2010 - the house was put up for sale and was valued at £265,000. The house was remortgaged around 2008 to cover credit card debt, a car for my ex and a tax bill which in total amounted to £75,00. This decreased the equity on the house raising the mortgage from approximately £95,000 to approximately £170,000. The remortgaged amount was a debt that my ex promised would come out of the equity he was due on the house. I moved out of the house in November 2011 and was paid £80,000 of the equity. There are no other assets. At the moment I earn £27,900 and I have no idea how much my ex earns. As stated in my original message he is a managing partner at Law firm.

How much is his interest in the firm worth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We took out a business loan of £50,000 in 1999 to buy into the partnership. It required our two signatures as our house was used as collateral.

Any idea on how much the business is worth now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have no idea how much the business is worth. The Company is Tollers Solicitors who have various branches in the Northampton area.

The simple answer is that yes it is a matrimonial asset on which you have a potential claim
How substantial that claim could be is more difficult to assess given the relative slender information that you currently have but is is likely to be substantial.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if eyou need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your service it has been extremely helpful. I tend to rate your service as excellent,