13262538

My ex wife is keeping information about our children who are

My ex wife is keeping information about our children who are 16 and 13 from me, we both have parental responsibility and I see me children 50/50, important information regarding their mental health and wellbeing is not being passed to me until my children inform me, is this correct ? can she keep information from me or is it her responsibility to inform myself of any issue that arise regarding the children, I have tried speaking to her and ask her to keep me informed but her last comments sent via the children were to not speak with her and put things in writing ? this I feel is not only immature but puts stress on the children ? I feel my children are suffering because of her insistence to use them as to pass any message across and refuse to engage in conversation regarding our children with me ?
regards
Gareth
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
What kind of information is she not giving you..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Both my sons have informed me of negative thoughts, which they have said have told their mother, her responses are to mention going to the doctors, evening telling my eldest to sort it himself as she hasn't the time, this information is passed to me by my children which I feel they shouldn't feel they have to, also booking holidays abroad without consulting myself if ok to take them, no information regarding doctors, dentist, school appointments, parents evenings etc everyday well being issues.

Gareth

Do you actually have the details of schools doctors etc and what contact do you actually have with the child?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have the details of schools and doctors etc, I feel its unfair it be expected that my children should be informing me of any issues if they have already told their mother, I see my children every other day, but my issue is why should I be reliant on them to tell me things that should be shared between parents ?

With regard to your eldest child it is in fact up to him what he tells anyone and there is no expectation that your ex should share information with you
Whilst she should still share information regarding the younger child again given his age there is little that you can do and I am afraid the court would not issue any sanction simply because you already have the necessary details and should have your own lines of communication with school doctors etc.
Yes she does need your agreement to holidays abroad for the younger child - and you could possible obtain an order relating to that.
However as a starting point you should try and discuss matters with your ex using Family Mediation (www.familymediationehlpline.co.uk) and using a mediator also trained to work with children
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years