cmd2008
cmd2008, Solicitor
Experience:  BSC (hons), Solicitor with 14 years legal experience
13754130

what are my rights if my partner dies, his house is left to

Customer Question

what are my rights if my partner dies, his house is left to his daughter but his will states thmat I can live in it rent free
Expert:  cmd2008 replied 3 years ago.
cmd2008 :

Hello. If you would like to chat about this, we can do so. However, as you would have a lifetime gift, you can live in the property for the remainder of your life. You would be liable for bills and in many case maintenance and insurance of the property. Was there anything else specifically that you are concerned about?

cmd2008, Solicitor
Experience: BSC (hons), Solicitor with 14 years legal experience
How long have you lived together and what financial contributions have you made to the property.?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

since September 2010, we are both retired he bought the house and my wages up until I retired(31 May 2012) aid the bills and carpets decoration and any furniture now we pay 50/50

Expert:  cmd2008 replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Can you specify exactly what you have paid for? Is it the bills furniture and decoration? You have not contributed to anything such as towards the purchase or for alterations?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

bills furniture decorations new internal doors carpets

Expert:  cmd2008 replied 3 years ago.
As these are not usually part of what we call equitable interest in the property then you would not have a claim in respect of these to have a share of the property, unfortunately. Your position currently would be a right to stay in the property via your partner's will in the event of his death. I would suggest that you discuss your concerns with him.