13262538

I pay Child Maintenance for my daughter who will be 17 next

Customer Question

I pay Child Maintenance for my daughter who will be 17 next January. She took her GCSE's this year. She has been accepted onto a training course at The British Racing School which will start in February 2015. She will by then be 17. This course is a Level 2 Diploma Apprenticeship. She will be at the training school, which is a free residential course for 14 weeks. The only fee, £100 for dental/medical needs.  She will  then move onto a racing yard where she will be a paid apprentice with accommodation provided for the following 18 months. I would like to know when my CSA payments will end. I have been paying since around 2002.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hiya, Thank you for the update. I am happy to wait for an answer.

Mary

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help
You will need to continue payment so long as your ex is entitled to claim Child benefit - basically so long as the child is under 20 and in full time (more than 12 hours a week) Secondary education.
The issue of what counts as secondary education is covered here
https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/information/help?helpcategory=shortform&helpid=CBODateFullTimeEnd
You would need to check for certain but it seems likely that payments will end after she finishes the residential course.
Please ask if you need further assisatnce
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for that. It is as I both thought and was hoping. If the payments do stop when she leaves the residential course I will ensure at least £150 a month is put into her bank account to help ease her way into adult living!!! She thinks that is a princely sum, but for me it is a saving of over £200!! Thank you again.

Good luck - I hope all goes well