13262538

I live in a house that was left in trust to me. I have been

I live in a house that was left in trust to me. I have been divorced for 16 years but my ex-husband still lives in the house. The terms of the will are that I can live in the house for my lifetime and on my death it passes to my three children. I may sell it but I only receive half of monies the other half to be divided between my children. Does my ex have any entitlement to the estate.
Thank You
Why does your ex still live in the property?
Where do the children live?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My ex still lives in property mainly because I felt sorry for him because he had nowhere to live, it's complicated. He is 70 years old and cant afford to rent anywhere, he makes no contribution to the home. My children are all adult and independent.

Marlene

Was any financial arrangement agreed at the time of the divorce?
Has your ex made any financial contribution to alterations or improvements to the house?
How much is the house worth?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No financial arrangements were made at time of divorce. He has made no financial contribution to improvements in the house. He has never had a bank account until recently and has been flying under the radar for the last 40 years.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

House is worth in the region of £240,000.

Are you intending to sell the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have no intention of doing so in the forseeable future.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not in the forseeable future.

My apologies for the delay - I have been offline but all is now sorted
Do you wish to remove your ex from the property or are you simply worried that he can force a sale in some way?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for not replying sooner, have been away for weekend. I am just concerned that on my death he will have some claim on my daughters inheritance or will be able to stay in the house and they won't get their monies until his death.

Since the property is not yours he cannot make any claim in the event of your death.
His only claim will be to be given "reasonable notice" to leave the property (three months or so)
If you have any other queries please ask