13262538

Hi. My solicitor told me that in a divorce the idea that

My solicitor told me that in a divorce the idea that the ex-wife is on a "meal ticket for life" has ended, and the ex is now only entitled to spousal maintenance until the youngest child finished secondary education.
Is that true ? If so, is she then expected to go out to work ? What would happen if she couldn't work ? would she have to go on benefits ?
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
It is right to say that the "meal ticket for life"idea is indeed outdated.
However the actual outcome depends on many factors including the length of the marriage and the earning ability of each party
Certainly your ex is expected to work if she can - and retrain to do so if need be.
If there is a reason why she cannot work then you may face long term spouse maintenance although her eligibility for disability benefits may be sufficient to exclude this - otherwise yes she will simply have to claim whatever benefits she can
Please ask if you need further details