13262538

I have two questions:I have been divorced for 25 years

Customer Question

I have two questions:
I have been divorced for 25 years and have a court order for maintenance until such time as I remarry or cohabit for longer than 6 months, so as such am a dependent. My ex husband did want to change the court order and pay me a lump sum some years ago, I sought legal advice and at that time was entitled to a lump sum of £80/100k or so based on Duxbury Calculation. However, the matter was not resolved at that point and I continue to receive maintenance payments. Sadly, my ex husband is now terminally ill and has remarried in the past week. What is my legal position when the inevitable happens or has the law changed now, as it does, I really just need to be aware of what I should and should not ask.
In the divorce settlement papers, my two sons are entitled to 40% of his estate, what legal advice should they request and how and when should they go about this, given that it has been confirmed their father has only months to live. It is difficult to think about these things when they have received such traumatic news and whilst I have made them aware very gently that this would be the case, I would like to be well informed so that I can support them when the time comes.
Does the Order refer to "Joint lives" in terms of how long the payments shoudl last, and what is the wording of the provision regarding the $0% of his estate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure what the wording is in the order , nor how I obtain a copy of it. I will also need to find a copy of my divorce settlement in order to establish the wording, but I do remember discussing this at length at the time as I wanted to ensure my sons were provided for. I will look for the document and come back to you if that is OK.

I will e mail you tomorrow if that is OK.

Thanks, ***** *****

That will be fine
Amanda
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have found correspondence which states that he is willing to pay 40 percent of the capital sum payable on his death in service. This is 4 times his salary and would request it be put into trust for children. This of course no longer applies. I cannot find my court order so need to apply for a copy.
If my ex husband dies without a will, what would happen then, now that he has remarried, would my sons be able to
It is likely that your spouse maintenance was for joint lives and has therefore come to an end.
If there is no Will then the Widow will receive the first £250,000 of the estate plus a life interest in half the remainder.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One more question as a dependent I was informed some time ago that if necessary I could contest for the lump sum I am still owed following divorce is that still the case as I know laws change all the time.
What would my sons be able to ask if they should not be provided for.
HI
What lump sum are you still owed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I mentioned this in my first email, I was informed on a couple of occasions that I was still entitled to a lump sum, I received a capital sum and this went into my house at the time. A lump sum calculated on life expectancy called duxbury calculation. What I am not sure of is the parameters for this, it may not still be the case, this is what I was asking, refer to my first email.
Also where my sons stand now father has remarried, if no provision is made for them in his will.
See first email for details.
I am sorry but from what you say you have already received the lump sum and there is no further claim that you can make.
With reference to your sons unless they are still financially dependent on their father at the time of his death then I am afraid that there is no claim that they can make